Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jumping the Gun

So I'm a little embarrassed to admit that we've already made our first purchase for our home, wherever that may be. We weren't out looking for anything, just out exploring some new thrift shops. And that's when we found it.

A black pedestal table (similar to this one) and 4 black chairs with cream & yellow stripe upholstered seat cushions (sort of like this fabric). Ummm... yes PLEASE. We loved it because its the perfect design combination for both of us. If Joel had his way everything we'd own would be black, modern, sleek, bachelor pad style. And if you know me at all you know that... well... it just wouldn't be. So the sleek (but still wooden) black appeals to Joel while the cushions and shape screeeaaam my name. The perfect compromise!

The first thing I said when I saw them was "Ok, I'd buy these right now if..." And then I realized, what's the if? Even though we don't have a home now, we WILL soon. The price was great, design excellent, and we were both just giddy over the idea of eating our meals together around this table. I must have looked up at Joel with tears in my eyes because he immediately knew that was it, we'd be leaving with the table & chairs. So after negotiating prices a bit, and arranging a temporary home for the pieces until we're married, we did in fact purchase the set!
We couldn't be happier with it. The man at the counter said "well you'll have this stuff forever." We looked at each other and responded
"that's the plan."

But seriously, these are solid pieces that need absolutely no work as is, but if years down the road we decide to slap another coat of paint on them they can totally be painted, repainted, or reupholstered as much as we'd like!

So are we crazy for buying something we're a year away from being able to use?? Its ok, we thought so too. But rest assured that I AM in fact cut off from purchasing more fine furnishings for our home until closer to the wedding... bummer.

I love that we bought this. I love that Joel and the old owner man worked together to load it in the truck. I love that there was nowhere else to put a crate Joel had in the back of his truck, so I had to awkwardly sit with my feet up on the dash the entire way home. I love that the owners told us to come back and furnish our whole home from them, because you know we will.

I think I'm going to love making a home with Joel Henderson.

2 comments:

janae said...

just thought I'd say I'm loving the fabric on those chairs and loving this blog. Keep the posts coming!

Deb said...

I love that you're buying furniture already, I love the last line of this post and I love you.

Love the postcards for bridesmaids too.